About the Artist
I was born in 1957, and have lived most of my life in central Pennsylvania. I've been painting since my teen years, concentrating at various times on rural landscapes, historic barns, and wildlife. Sign painting has also been a part-time profession for many years. After a ten year stint at Penn State as a graphic designer, I am now painting full time. My family lives in a house we designed at the foot of a mountain in Centre County, Pennsylvania.
After a period of intensely concentrating on painting wildlife during the early and mid 1990's, I needed to recharge my artistic energy and did very little painting until late 2005. I'm now back at the easel, with a renewed passion for creative work and a focus on capturing light and mood through the use of oils and, as appropriate, a looser style. When possible, I prefer to paint en plein air (in the open air).
2006 brought several new show and gallery opportunities, including two awards, a number of organization commissions, and the successful launching of Landscape Artists International.
In 2008, I became the first Artist in Residence at the Centre County Grange Encampment and Fair, which I now do every August. In 2010, we produced the first Grange Fair collector poster, available for purchase at the Fair Emporium. I'm continuing this Residency and a new poster each year.
In 2009, I was awarded a commission by Penn State to create a large painting, "Change of Classes". that now hangs in the main lobby of the prestigious Nittany Lion Inn.
I'm now the managing partner and a Resident Artist at the Green Drake Gallery and Arts Center in Millheim, Pennsylvania, where you can see much of my available work.
Painting at the Hameau Farm Artist Retreat
(Photo by Susan Nicholas Gephart)
Playing the sax to the waves at the beach.
(Photo by the artist...tripods are a handy thing.)
- 1974 Pennsylvania Governor's School for the Arts
- 1993, 1994 Southern Maryland Wildlife Festival
- 1993-1998 People's Choice Festival of Pennsylvania Arts and Crafts Boalsburg. Helped create the first festival in 1993. My wife, Linda, actually came up with the name for the festival.
- 1994 Birds in Art (juried), Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum Wausau, Wisconsin
- 1995 Six paintings featured in Wildlife Painting Step by Step by Patrick Seslar, publ. by North Light Books
- 1995-1996 (3) Stories and illustrations published in Pennsylvania Game News magazine
- 1995 and 1996 Taught painting and photography to Elderhostel groups at Spruce Lake Retreat Center Canadensis, Pennsylvania
- 2006 Taught basic landscape painting to Navajo teens and adults at Navajo BIC Mission's Vacation Bible School, New Mexico
- 2006 Juried acceptance into Oil Painters of America as an associate artist member
- 2006 The Art Alliance of Central Pennsylvania Juried Show, Lemont, PA: Third in Show
- 2006 International Plein Air Painters (IPAP) World Wide Paint Out, Niagara Falls, Ontario: Third in Quick Draw Contest
- 2007 Juried into American Impressionist Society Annual National Show
- 2007 Co-hosted first venue of World Tour of Contemporary Landscape Artists at Karpeles Museum, Newburgh, New York
- 2008 The Art Alliance of Central Pennsylvania Juried Show, Lemont, PA: Honorable Mention
- 2008 "Bonded by Brotherhood" Full-page article in Centre Daily Times, State College, Pennsylvania see article (500K jpeg)
- 2008-2013 Centre County Grange Encampment and Fair - Artist in Residence
- 2009 Commissioned to paint "Change of Classes" for the Pennsylvania State University
- 2011 Opened the Green Drake Gallery and Arts Center in Millheim, Pennsylvania
- 2012 Commissioned to paint "Grange Fair Midway, Evening" and "Neff Round Barn, Autumn" for Northwest Savings Bank, Centre Hall, PA
- 2013 Far and Near Horizons World Tour of Contemporary Landscape Artists, New Century Artists Gallery in Manhattan, NYC, New York and Green Drake Gallery in Spring Mills, Pennsylvania. Participant and co-host.
Corporate Collections –
- Boyd Senior Planning Lancaster, Pennsylvania (office views with art)
- Penns Valley Dental Associates Spring Mills, Pennsylvania
- The Portolan Group Sarasota, Florida
- Johnson Brothers Accounting Spring Mills, Pennsylvania
- The Mill at Fine Creek Powhatan, Virginia
- The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania. On display in the lobby of the Nittany Lion Inn.
- Northwest Savings Bank - Two large landscape commissions on display at the Centre Hall, Pennsylvania branch.
Professional Organizations –
Conservation Organizations supported –
- The Wildlands Conservancy Emmaus, Pennsylvania 1995, 1996, 2006, 2007
- Shaver's Creek Environmental Center The Pennsylvania State University 1993
- Lemont Village Association Lemont, Pennsylvania 2006
- Clearwater Conservancy State College, Pennsylvania 2008
Clouds– an essay by the artist